Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Butch Cassidy

My first blog from my new home is all about something that is hitting the Wyoming (where I now live) papers big - someone in Washington is claiming that Butch Cassidy survived Bolivia.

They're basing this on an old book, called Bandit Invincible, by William T. Phillips, is an autobiography, not a biography and that Phillips was actually the famous criminal living in disguise.

The reasoning is that a) Phillips knew "too much" not to be the famous outlaw and b) William T. Phillips didn't exist until 1908, according to records.

I think it's crap.

He knew alot because he was a friend of the outlaw. That's a "documented" fact.

He didn't exist in records? Alot of other people didn't exist in records. As a genealogist, I know that's not the most documented time period. Also, what if he had a different name at birth? He knew Butch Cassidy, maybe he "worked" with him and then after he retired from the game he changed his name and settled down. It makes perfect sense to me.

I see a story that has been blown up, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment